The History of Lane High School
Lane (population 125) is located in southern DeWitt County along Il. Route 10 approximately seven miles east of Clinton. This places Lane approximately 30 miles west of Champaign (as the crow flies). The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad runs through the center of Lane.
Lane High School existed for about five decades. It is believed the high school was established in the late 1800s. It served the town of Lane and the surrounding country kids until the 1950s, probably around 1954. At this time many small schools were encouraged to merge with their larger-school neighbors. Lane was annexed into the Clinton School District.
It is not known if the Lane School was completely closed at that time or remained open as part of the Clinton School District for a short while as a grade school. Eventually the Lane school building was closed for public education. The building was purchased by the local church in Lane. The Lane Christian Church has maintained the building in excellent condition and still uses it for various functions. It is believed the gym can still be used for recreational basketball.
Lane High School Quick Facts
Year opened: probably late 1800s
Year closed: 1950s
School nickname: unavailable
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable