The History of La Prairie High School
La Prairie (population 60) is located in western Illinois in the northeastern portion of Adams County. La Prairie is aptly named as it appears to sit quietly in the middle fo the prairie along the Burlington Northern Railroad line. La Prairie is situated between the County Roads of E 2600th St. and E 2650th St. at the County Road of N 2700th Ave. La Prairie appears to be about 3 blocks from north to south and 5 blocks from east to west. La Prairie is about 20 miles northeast of Quincy and 24 miles southwest of Macomb.
La Prairie was established in 1855 as a stop along a railroad line. It was initially named Gibbstown before the name was changed to La Prairie in 1863. The town probably grew quickly in its initial years. It is likely that a school was set in place by the late 1800s as well. High School curriculum was probably offered in the 1920s.
LaPrairie High School had a 4-year curriculum through 1944. The high school was closed after the 1943-44 school year with students being bussed to nearby Golden High School to complete their education. The Golden High School closed in the early 1950s, possibly 1955, with students from Golden and LaPrairie joining the newly formed Camp Point Central School District.
If you have any further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
La Prairie High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1920s?
Year closed: 1944
Consolidated to: Golden High School
HS Students Now Attend: Central High School (Camp Point)
La Prairie HS team nickname: unavailable
La Prairie HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song; unavailable