The History of LaRose High School
The village of LaRose (population 149) is located on the busy Il. Route 89 at County Road 1 in south central Marshall County. The AT & ST Railroad runs just southeast of town. This places LaRose approximately 25 miles northeast of Peoria.
There is not a lot of information available to this writer regarding the town and school system of LaRose. It is known that the high school was still active in 1959. This is evidenced in a 1959 Mineral High School yearbook which has the two schools competing in a basketball game. Before the fall of 1961 LaRose High School was deactivated.
A nice history of LaRose High School, as noted by Roberta VanBriesen, can be viewed at the web address of http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/marshall/Larose_School/high_school.html
The school-aged children of LaRose now have their choice of attending school as part of the Lowpoint-Washburn School District, the Minonk Fieldcrest School District, or in nearby Midland School District in Varna. LaRose is technically included in the Fieldcrest School District however.
LaRose High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s / early1900s
Year closed: 1961
School nickname: the “Warriors”
School colors: Blue & Gold
School Fight Song: “Cheers, Cheers for Old LaRose High”
Sung to Univ. of Notre Dame Fight Song tume – words needed
Cheer, Cheer for old LaRose High,
Wake up the echoes, Cheering her name,
Send a loyal cheer on high,
Shake out the thunder from the sky.
What though the odds be great or small,
Old LaRose High will win over all.
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory!!