The History of Chicago Gordon Tech High School
Chicago (population 2.7 million) is located in eastern central Cook County in far northeastern Illinois. Chicago is currently the 3rd largest city in the United States of America. Chicago is located along the shores of Lake Michigan in northeastern Illinois. From its early days as a Potawatomie settlement, then as the site of Fort Dearborn in 1803, which led up to the formation of the city and its incorporation in 1833 and 1837, respectively, the “City of Big Shoulders” became a major location in the US for various reasons. Railroads and water transportation were two reasons why Chicago was one of the fastest growing cities in the country during the 19th Century.
Today, numerous railroads and highways of interstate, US, state, and local designations bring people together in the city on a daily basis, as does air traffic at O’Hare and Midway Airports. Chicago is a melting pot of people from many nationalities, making it ethnically diverse, and thus is referred to as “the financial, economic, and cultural capital of the Midwest (according to Wikipedia).”
Gordon Technical High School was started in 1952 at the intersection of Division Street and Greenview Avenue in Chicago. A new high school building was erected at 3633 N. California Avenue in Chicago in 1961. Gordon Tech served as an all-boys Catholic high school from 1952 through 2002 when it became a co-educational school allowing girls to enroll. In 2012 Gordon Tech entered into a partnership with DePaul University. This resulted in the changing of the school’s name in 2014 from Gordon Tech to DePaul College Prep High School. A new building was erected for DePaul College Prep at 3300 N. Campbell Street, Chicago between 2019 and 2020. The new building was opened in August of 2020 which meant the end of Gordon Tech/DePaul College Prep building’s usage at the 3300 N. California Avenue. The most recent plans for this building is to develop a large condominium complex on the former Gordon Tech High School grounds.
“1952 At the request of Samuel Cardinal Stritch, the Congregation of the Resurrection opens the all- boys Gordon Technical High School at Division Street and Greenview Avenue, in the facility formerly occupied by Archbishop Weber High School.
1961 Gordon Tech moves to the current campus at Addison and California.
2002 The school becomes co-educational; girls are admitted for the first time.
2012 Gordon enters into a university wide, academic partnership with DePaul University, beginning a significant new chapter in the school’s history.
The priests and brothers who serve at Gordon Tech College Prep are members of the Congregation of the Resurrection, founded in France in 1836. We are called Resurrectionists and referred to as C.R.’s.
2014 Gordon Tech High School is renamed DePaul College Prep High School. The “Rams” mascot is maintained for the newly named school.
2020 DePaul College Prep relocated to a new facility at 3300 N. Campbell Street, Chicago.
2020 Gordon Tech High School facility at 3633 N. California Avenue is sold to a private developer.
Gordon Tech High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1952
Year name changed: 2014
Now Known As: DePaul College Prep: Father Gordon Campus
School Team Nickname: “Rams” (nickname will be retained)
School Team Colors: Orange & Gray
School Fight Song: