The History of Evansville High School
Evansville (population 701) is located in far southwestern Illinois in the west central portion of Randolph County. Illinois State Route 3 is the main roadway that leads you to Evansville and passes by the western edge of town. Schuline Road and Nathan Road also lead to Evansville. The town is located along the banks of the Kaskaskia River and is located about 45 miles south and a little east of East St. Louis.
Evansville was officially established in 1834 by a businessman named Caldwell Evans. A post office was established there in 1849.
Evansville at one time supported a 2-year high school. We found basketball scores involving Evanston High School as far back as 1932. We have also observed a high school class photo from Evansville High School taken in the early 1920s. It is likely the school offered high school courses beginning in the early 1900s. It is probable that the high school was discontinued in the late 1940s as most 2-year high schools were forced to close at that time.
Evansville continues to support a Lutheran high school and a public grade school. The original school building that once housed 1st grade through 10th grade has been razed. High school-aged students of Evansville now attend Sparta High School 12 miles to the east. Any further information regarding the history of Evansville High School is welcome (email@example.com).
Evansville High School Quick Facts
Year opened: Early 1920s, possibly earlier.
Year closed: Mid to late 1940s
Students Now Attend: Sparta High School
School Team Nickname: Eagles
School Team Colors:
School Fight Song: