The History of Wheaton-Warrenville High School
Wheaton (population 55,416) is located in northeastern Illinois in central DuPage County. Wheaton is a western suburb of Chicago and is situated about miles west of downtown Chicago. Illinois Route 38 leads you to and from the town of Wheaton. In addition, Illinois Routes 56 and 64 are located on the south and north sides of Wheaton as well. Interstate Highway 88 runs about 3 miles south of Wheaton which connects to it via Naperville Road.
Warrenville (population 13,798) is located just southwest of Wheaton. Illinois Route 56 (Butterfield Road), Winfield Road, and Warrenville Road all lead you to and from Warrenville. Interstate Highway 88 passes by the south edge of town. The West Branch of the DuPage River flows through the center of Warrenville
A brief history of the city of Wheaton can be found on the town’s web address of http://www.wheaton.il.us/Community/History-of/index.htm . In brief, the ara of Wheaton was settled in 1836 by Erastus Gary and Jesse and Warren Wheaton. The group purchased land and allowed the railroad to pass through the area for free. The railroad workers posted a sign at the depot on the land that simply stated “Wheaton Depot”. The name has stuck ever since.
A brief history of Warrenville was located on the Wikepedia web address of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrenville,_Illinois . Further history on the town can be viewed at http://www.villageprofile.com/illinois/warrenville/14his/topic.html . In summary, Warrenville was named after its founder, Julius Warren, in 1833. His family built the first business, an Inn/Tavern in 1838 which incredibly still stands and is used today. After moderate but steady growth for over 100 years, Warrenville was finally incorporated as an official Illinois city in 1967 with 4,000 residents. The town saw its most significant growth in the 1970s through the 1990s to its current population of nearly 14,000.
The history of Wheaton-Warrenville High School can be viewed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheaton_Warrenville_South_High_School . In 1973 the population of Wheaton, Warrenville, and the surrounding areas had the school district of Wheaton bustling with students. It was decided in 1973 that a new high school was needed to serve the growing population. This school would be located on the southern portion of Wheaton and named Wheaton-Warrenville High School. Wheaton now had three high schools, Wheaton North, Wheaton Central, and Wheaton-Warrenville.
For various reasons it was determined in 1983 that three high schools were no longer needed to serve the area. The result was the closing of Wheaton-Warrenville High School. After years of discussion, the decision was made to move Wheaton Central High School the Wheaton-Warrenville high school building. Wheaton Central was renamed Wheaton Warrenville South High School. Wheaton Warrenville South assumed the traditions and athletic nicknames of Wheaton Central.
Wheaton-Warrenville High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1973
Year closed: 1983
Consolidated to: Wheaton Central HS / Wheaton North HS
W-WHS team nickname: the “Wolverines”
W-WHS team colors: Green & Gold
School Fight Song: unavailable