The History of Tennessee High School
Tennessee (Illinois – population 144) is located in western McDonough County on U.S. Route 136 approximately 10 miles southwest of Macomb. The At & St Railroad runs through town.
It is believed Tennessee High School was established in the late 1800s. The year of its deactivation is not known. A guess would be in the late 1940s, but this could be incorrect. The year 1948 pops up again bet is not verified. Tennessee continued to offer a grade school (grades 1 – 5) for the town and surrounding country kids. The grade school closed in 1956 after Colchester built a new grade school in their town.
The students of Tennessee attended school as part of the Colchester school system after the Tennessee deactivation. The students of Tennessee now attend West Prairie High School in Sciota. The grammar school students attend school in Colchester. The fate of the original Tennessee High School building is also needed.
Tennessee High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s
Year closed: possibly 1948?
Year Grade School closed: 1956
School nickname: the “Tigers”
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable