The History of Stewardson High School
Stewardson (population 747) is located in lower-eastern Illinois in the southeastern portion of Shelby County. Illinois Route 32 is the main road leading to and from Stewardson. A town of note in the area for location sake is Effingham located about 10 miles south and a little east of Stewardson. The Norfolk & Western Railroad travels through Stewardson. The Wolf Creek flows just to the southeast of town.
Brad Friese provided the following bit of history on Stewardson High School:
“First Stewardson High School was organized as a two-year high school, 1898-1899. The two story brick building in photo was built in 1909. The high school became a three-year school 1911-12. In 1925, an addition, including a new gymnasium, was added to the two story brick school and became a four-year high school, 1925-1926. The last Stewardson High School class was the class of 1949-50. The building was used as the grade school (1-6 grades) until the spring of 1969. It was purchased by the village and became the Civic Center. It was used in that capacity until it was finally demolished in 1980.”
It was in the late 1940s that consolidation talks began between Stewardson and its neighbor to the north, Strasburg. The effort became a reality in the spring of 1950 with the creation of the Stewardson-Strasburg School District.
Stewardson High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1898
Year closed: 1950
Consolidated to: Stewardson-Strasburg School District
Stewardson HS team nickname: the “Tigers”
Stewardson HS team colors: Orange & Black
School Fight Song: “Cheer, Cheer For Old Stewardson High”
Sung to the tune of “Notre Dame Victory March”
Cheer, Cheer for Stewardson High,
Wake up the echoes, Cheering her name,
Send a loyal cheer on high,
Shake out the thunder from the sky.
What though the odds be great or small,
Stewardson High will win over all.
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory!!