|The History of Richmond High School
Richmond, Illinois (population 1,103) is located in between Chicago and Milwaukee 60 miles each way as the crow flies. Ill. Rt. 173 and U.S. Rt. 12 all lead you to Richmond. It was first settled in 1844 and named after Richmond, VT. Why? The person who named the town, Issac Reed, won a contest in which the first person to climb to the top of their Mill would get to name the town.
The origins of the Richmond High School system can date back to 1893 when the Class of 1894 consisted of five graduates. For more than 50 years, the town of Richmond was able to support their own school system by itself. Consolidation talks began with the country schools of Burton Township in the late 1940s and it became a reality in 1948 when Richmond-Burton High School was born.
Richmond High School “Quick Facts”:
Year opened: 1893
Year consoidated with Burton Twp.: 1948
Building status: Now Richmond-Burton Junior High
School Mascot: the “Rockets”
School Colors: Maroon & White
School Song: Unknown