|The History of Quincy Christian Brothers and Catholic Boys High School
Quincy (population 40,366) is located in far west-central Illinois in the west-central portion of Adams County. Interstate Highway 172 will lead you to and from Quincy via Interstate Highway 72 which runs just south of Quincy. U.S. Route 24 also leads you to Quincy along with Illinois Routes 57, 96, and 336. The western most border of Quincy is the Mississippi River with Missouri just a short boat ride across the way. Quincy Bay is another water mark in western Quincy. The Burlington Northern Railroad passes through town as well.
A nice history of the town can be viewed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy,_Illinois . In summary, the article states that Quincy was originally settled by caucasian Americans in the very early 1800s. It was named the county seat of Adams County in 1825, a title it continues to hold today. Quincy’s location along the Mississippi River made it an important stopping place for steam boats and travelers in the middle to late 1800s.
The history of Quincy’s parochial schools is also a very storied and early development. The web page address of http://www.quincynotredame.org/info/school/history.html provides the following information about Quincy Christian Brothers and Quincy Catholic Boys high schools.
Quincy’s first parochial school was developed in 1873 as all girls school known as St. Mary Institute which included a two-year high school course of study. The school added a third year of high school in 1890 and a fourth year in 1894. In 1928 the school changed its name to Notre Dame of Quincy.
It was in 1940 that the boys began attending Notre Dame when Quincy College Academy for boys closed. This arrangement continued for 19 years. In 1959 a new school building was constructed for the boys. The scholl was named Quincy Christian Brothers High School. After 10 years the Christian Brothers advised they were no longer able to staff and support the high school. Local ownership was assumed and the name of the school was changed to Quincy Catholic Boys High School.
Memories and facts from this change are provided by Paul Richard Harvey (Class of 1972):
“The name changed in 1970. Catholic Boys was chosen as the new name so that much of the logos and related materials could remain the same since the local vernacular for the school was “CB”.
Hence, the mascot and school colours remained unchanged after the transition. The colours are in fact Navy Blue and Gold (akin to Notre Dame University). The team was always the Raiders in modern history.
Useless trivia — The logo of the “Raider” at center court of the gym was copied with permission from Bradley University’s “Brave”.”
Quincy Catholic Boys High School would serve in its “boys only” capacity another seven years. An agreement between Notre Dame for girls and Catholic Boys high schools was reached in 1975. The schools would combine their resources and become one co-educational school. This occurred in the fall of 1976, The official name of the school became Quincy Notre Dame High School.
Quincy Notre Dame is flourishing today in that same capacity.
Quincy Christian Brothers & Catholic Boys High School Quick Facts
Year Christian Brothers HS established: 1959
Year name changed to Catholic Boys HS: 1970
Year consolidated with Notre Dame HS for girls: 1976
Christian Brothers/Catholic Boys team nickname: the “Raiders”
Christian Brothers/Catholic Boys HS team colors: Navy Blue & Gold
Christian Brothers HS fight song: unavailable
Catholic Boys HS fight song: unavailable