The History of Prairie du Rocher High School
Prairie du Rocher (population 604) is located approximately 45 miles south of East St. Louis in the far southwestern area of Illinois. The village is situated in the far northwestern portion of Randolph County near the Mississippi River. County highway 7 and Illinois Route 155 intersect at Prairie du Rocher. The village is one of the oldest in Illinois having been first settled as a French Colony in 1722. For a historical timeline of Prairie du Rocher please go to the following web address:
Prairie du Rocher education dates back to the early 1800s, with the first recorded official school being established in 1816. In 1855 the St. Joseph Catholic Parish built a school house for the children of Prairie du Rocher.
There is only limited information available regarding the Prairie du Rocher High School courses offered at the St. Joseph School. It is believed to have been a 2-year high school which existed from 1920 possibly through the 1940s. The Genealogy website has a timeline which reads that a baseball field was constructed on the Catholic school grounds in 1941. A new school building was constructed on the Catholic school grounds in 1951 and leased to the public school system. A new public school was erected in 1971 and continues to be in operation today.
The kids of Prairie du Rocher today attend high school in Red Bud.
Prairie du Rocher High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1920 (2-year high school at St. Joseph Parish School)
Year closed: 1940s(?)
Consolidated to: Red Bud High School
School Team Nickname: “Hawks” (Current Grade School nickname)
School Team Colors: Blue & White
School Team Fight Song: (needed)