The History of Panama High School
Panama (population 323) is located in southwestern Illinois about 40 miles northeast of East St. Louis. Panama is located on the Bond County – Montgomery County borderline. The main drag through town is Panama/Donnellson Avenue which connects to Illinois Route 127 about two miles to the east. The Norfolk & Western Railroad runs by the southeast edge of town. Bearcat Creek flows to the east of the village.
The town of Panama was officially incorporated in 1906. It is likely a high schoiol was established in the early 1900s. The high school in Panama was well supported and successful for about five decades. It was in the early 1950s that several surrounding communities agreed to consolidate their efforts into one district. This occurred in 1954 when the school districts of Panama, Irving, Coffeen, Butler, Donnellson, Taylor Springs, and Schram City all joined Hillsboro to create the Hillsboro Community School District.
It is not known what has become of the Panama School building. It is not even for sure if the building is still in use or still standing. If you have this information please forward it to us via e-mail at email@example.com.
For more excellent information on the town of Panama and its history check out www.daleeccles.net . Webmaster Dale Eccles has put together some incredible history and photos that combine to make a great tribute to this town’s glorious mining past.
Panama High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s / early 1900s
Year closed: 1954
Consolidated to: Hillsboro Community High School
School nickname: “Speed Boys”
School colors: Orange & Black
School Fight Song: unavailable