| The History of Lima High School
Lima (population 159) is located in far west-central Illinois in northwest Adams County. Illinois Route 96 is the “main drag” running through town. Lima is located about 15 miles north of Quincy, five miles east of the Mississippi River. A branch of the Whiteoak Creek flows through town as well.
Lima was first settled in 1828 with a two-story brick building and it is believed that a school came at a later date. The community probably started a high school in its town in the late 1800’s, and a new building was in place in 1907. It was a T-shaped building that had two classrooms and hallway on the east side of the building with another classroom on the west side before another room was added to that side around 1919. The school became a two-year school in 1914, but it is not known when it became a three-year school.
In the late 1940’s, consolidation talks began between several northwest Adams County towns. The effort included Lima High School. In 1948, Lima joined the towns of Loraine, Ursa, and Mendon to form one school district known as Unity School District (http://www.fourstar.lib.il.us/community/cusd4/who/).
Lima kept a grade school operating as a part of the Unity District through 1961, when all school functions ceased in Lima. The fate of the original high school building, is a sad one as it was later torn down. The property that the school stood was been turned into a park. We are hopeful that a photo of this building is still available and will be submitted for use on this page.
Lima High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800’s
Year it became 2-yrs 1914
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Unity School District (Mendon)
Lima School nickname: unavailable
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable