The History of Kilbourne High School
The town of Kilbourne (population 375) is located in the southwest portion of Mason County along IL Route 97 at county road East Creek 600 N. The Chicago & Illinois Midland Railroad runs through the west side of town. Kilbourne is approximately 30 miles (as the crow flies) northwest of Springfield.
The school system in Kilbourne traces its roots back to the early 1900’s. It was then that the high school in town was established. The first graduating class received their diplomas in 1910. For 44 years, the town of Kilbourne graduated their children from the school building. It was in 1954 that a consolidation effort with nearby Bath (also on this site) became a reality. The merger of Kilbourne High and Bath-Lynchburg High created the Ba-Ly-Ki School District.
Balyki High School was located in Bath with the middle school remaining in Kilbourne. Meals were often cooked in Bath and transported to Kilbourne so the Middle School students could receive a hot meal. This system worked well until a new consolidation effort took place with Havana. These talks were realized in 1991 when Balyki High School was deactivated. The children of Kilbourne now attend school in Havana.
The original Kilbourne High School building was struck and demolished by a tornado in the mid-1970s. The Middle School is still standing tall and proud in Kilbourne, though we are not certain of its current use.
Kilbourne High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early 1900’s
First graduating class: 1910
Year closed: 1954
Consolidated to: Balyki School District (Bath)
School nickname: the “Green Wave”
School colors: Green & White
School Fight Song: unavailable