The History of Cedarville High School, District 52
Cedarville (population 719) is located between Freeport and Orangeville on Ill. Rt. 26 in the center of Stephenson County. It is the birthplace of the “Mother of social work” Jane Addams.
Addams was taught in the Cedarville country schools before moving to Rockford where she graduated from the Rockford Female Seminary. In 1889 she co-founded the Hull House in Chicago, one of the first settlement houses in the United States and in 1931 she won a Nobel Peace Prize.
The history of the Cedarville School District #52 can date back to 1846. From 1859 to 1865, a private academy served the people. It then became a graded school in 1865 which included high school courses. It continued in this capacity until decreasing enrollment forced it’s closure in 1956. Students were bused to Freeport to the south.
An article found at http://genealogytrails.com/ill/stephenson/schoolcedarville.html provides a brief mention of Cedarville High School in 1894. It is written as follows:
“Pupils entering this school are given a four years’ course including preparatory, and on completing this course, as prescribed by the Board of Education, are prepared to enter the college at Rockford, Beloit, etc. This affords an excellent opportunity to young people who desire a high school education, and who wish to take advantage of home influence and low board. A preparatory course of one year has been prepared for those pupils from other schools, who can not readily enter the High School Department. Tuition per year: High School, $24; grammar grades, $20; intermediate grades, $16; primary grades, $12.
Laura E. Hahn Principal
Another web link provided by Roberta Van Briesen (http://www.cedarvilleareahistoricalsociety.org/newsletters/echoes%20of%20cedarville%20september%202015.pdf ) provides the following information regarding Cedarville High School:
“On January 2 (1900) the Freeport Daily Bulletin reported that “Prof. Fackler took charge as principal of the village schools.” Little did O.A. Fackler know that at that time he would be an educational fixture and resident of Cedarville for at least the next ten years.
In 1900 the only village school was the building on the hill that now houses the Cedarville museum. Fackler had the distinction of witnessing the graduation of the school’s first two-year high school class on June 13, 1903. The graduates were J. Harry Angle, Paul L. Frank, Maude Moses, Roy D. Cromley, and Harry H. Addams.”
Cedarville High School “Quick Facts”:
Year of first school: 1846
Year HS courses started: 1865
Year HS changed to 2-Year: 1902
School District Number: #52
Year HS closed: 1956
Deactivated to: Freeport School District
Building Status: Unknown
School Song: Unknown
School Colors: Unknown
School Mascot: Unknown