The History of Cazenovia High School
Cazenovia (population approximately 50) is located in the northwest portion of Woodford County. The village is located on Illinois Route 89 at the intersection of County Highway 18. Cazenovia is village that includes a 3 block area with a Mennonite Church that appears to be going strong. The village is located about 4.5 miles north of Metamora.
According to the book “Place Names of Illinois” by Edward Callary the village was founded in 1870 and is named after a town of the same name in New York. A post office was established in Cazenovia in 1871. Cazenovia is situated in a township of the same name.
Very little is available regarding Cazenovia’s school system. It was in a newspaper article in the Moline Dispatch dated March, 1928 that we learned of the existence of Cazenovia High School. That year the boys basketball team competed in the IHSA state tournament by participating in the District Tourney in Eureka.
Based on research of towns of similar size in that area we believe that Cazenovia was founded as a 2-year high school in the early 1920s. It likely existed in that capacity through the 1930s, possibly into the 1940’s. We do know that the kids of Cazenovia today attend schools in Metamora.
If you have any further information regarding Cazenovia and its former school system, especially photos of the old school building, please contact us at:
Cazenovia High School Quick Facts
Year Opened: 1920s (?)
Year Closed: 1930s (?)
Consolidated to: Metamora High School
School Team Nickname: unavailable
School Team Colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable