The History of Calhoun High School
Calhoun (population 222) is located in lower-eastern (some might say southeastern) Illinois in the southeastern quarter of Richland County. The county road of E. Calhoun Lane (County Highway 7) is the main roadway to Calhoun. It connects Calhoun with Illinois Route 130 dtwo miles to the west. The Indiana Hi-Rail Railroad runs by the west side of town as well.
The history of the town of Calhoun and its former school system are in need of research. Jerry Michels advises us that a high school curriculum for the kids of Calhoun and the surrounding farm lands was set in place in 1912. The high school served the community for 35 years. The late 1940s brought an end to several small school districts in Illinois due to legislative actions. It was in 1947 that the services of the Calhoun High School district were discontinued. The kids of Calhoun then continued their education at nearby Olney. We are not certain if the Calhoun district provided classes for the grade school kids for a time after the high school closed or not.
The fate of the Calhoun High School building is a good one. The building now serves as the Calhoun Civic Center.
Calhoun High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1912
Year closed: 1947
Consolidated to: Olney High School
Calhoun HS team nickname: the “Wildcats”
Calhoun HS team colors: Orange & Black
Calhoun HS Fight Song: unavailable