The History of Elliott High School
Elliott (population 295) is located in east central Illinois in the south central portion of Ford County. Illinois Route 9 is the main roadway to and from Elliott as it passes by the small village to the south. County Road N. 1000 E, also known as County Highway 4, travels through the heart of Elliott from the north to south. Elliott is located about 5 miles due east of Gibson City and about 25 miles due north of Champaign.
Elliott is named after the primary donor of the land the town is located on, Samuel Elliott. The village was established in 1865. A railroad depot was constructed in 1872 and the village at that time was filled various businesses and was very self-supporting.
The businesses in Elliott included a school house. The first school in Elliott was a two-room frame structure for grades 1 – 8. According to a newspaper article submitted by Elliott school offered two years of high school with the first graduation for the school taking place in 1898. The Elliott school building burnt to the ground in 1912 and was soon replaced by a new, brick school building in 1922. It is unknown when the high school courses offered at Elliott were discontinued, however it is known that kids who wanted full 4-year high school education would have to continue at Gibson City High School upon leaving the Elliott school. It is only known that the school offered classes for grades 1 – 8 as Elliott School District #94. Additions were made to the original portion of the school in 1948 which included a gymnasium.
The Elliott school district was supported on its own through the 1953-54 school year. The Elliott School District consolidated with the Gibson City School District in the summer of 1954. Grade school classes continued at the Elliott school through 1964. From 1964 through 1982 the school building was utilized as the Ford / Iroquois County Special Education Association. This arrangement was discontinued in 1982 and the school building and grounds were remanded to the village of Elliott. The building served many purposes for the village until its use was eventually discontinued. The Elliott school building was demolished in 1998.
Elliott High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1897(?)
First Graduation Ceremony: 1898
Year Closed: (?)
Consolidated to: Gibson City High School
School Team Nickname: “Wolves” (Grade School)
School Team Colors:
School Fight Song: