The History of West Point High School
West Point (population 195) is located in western Illinois in the south central portion of Hancock County. West Point is about 16 miles south and a little west of the county seat Carthage and about 30 miles northeast of Quincy. The main roadways to and from West Point are County Highway 23 and County Highway 30. Illinois Route 94 / 110 travels by the village about 3 miles to the east. According to Mapquest (www.mapquest.com) West Point is about 8 blocks from east to west and 6 blocks from north to south.
According to the web address of http://www.carthage.lib.il.us/community/clubs/historical/hancockhistory/index.html
West Point was platted in March of 1856. The web address of http://books.google.com/books?id=ZvHgwa-XImcC&pg=PA393&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false
tells us the following regarding West Point’s history:
The town was officially registered in 1893. A post office was established in 1858. It was first known as Pumpkinville and then Wigletown. The name ‘Wigletown’ was chosen to honor one of the town’s early settlers, David Wigle. The name was officially changed to West Point in 1856 by Mr. Wigle’s wife who did not like the name Wigletown. The name West Point was chosen to honor Mr. and Mrs. Wigle’s former hometown of West Point, N.Y.
Local historian Keith Bruns provided us with the following information on West Point High School:
“The West Point High School was started in 1916. The building burned in the winter of 1919 – 1920. Classes were held in various town buildings until a new building was built in 1925. In 1947 grades 9, 10, & 11 were discontinued since West Point High School had become a part of the Bowen Community High School. In 1949 all of the West Point School District 225 became part of the Bowen – West Point Community Unit 320.”
We welcome any further information on the history of West Point and its former school system. We are very grateful to Keith Bruns for his historical account of West Point High School.
One article was found that stated a “new” school building was built in West Point in 1885. The article stated the “high school” was located on the second floor. It is possible there were high school courses taught for a few years at that time prior to 1916.
West Point High School Quick Facts
Year High School Opened: 1885
Year new building opened: 1916
Year closed: 1947
Consolidated to: Bowen High School
Students now attend: Augusta Southeastern School District
West Point HS team nickname: ??
West Point HS team colors: ??
School Fight Song: ??