The History of Vernon High School
Vernon (population 178) is located in south-central Illinois. Vernon sits in the far northwestern corner of Marion County about 12 miles south of Vandalia. U.S. Route 51 is the main roadway leading to and from Vernon. According to www.mapquest.com Vernon is about 6 blocks from east to west and 4 blocks from north to south. Vernon was established in 1872 by the Illinois Central Railroad. It is named after an employee of the railroad named William Vernon.
The history of the former high school are in need of research. If you have any information for Vernon in this area, please do not hesitate to write to us.
A school for children in grades 1 – 8 was probably established in Vernon in the late 1800s. We believe that the school system was expancded to include high school curriculum in the early 1900s. It is probable that Vernon High School was a 2 or 3-year high school.
According to the Patoka High School web page of http://www.schools.lth5.k12.il.us/patoka/history.htm , Vernon and Patoka school districts constructed a combined high school district in 1951. The first full school year for the new school, the first four-year high school for either town, was held in the 1951-52 school year.
In 1960 an addition was added to the Patoka High School building for the grade school students of both towns. The Vernon school building was closed for educational purposes at that time.
The fate of the Vernon High School building is needed.
Vernon High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early 1900s (1920s?)
Year closed: 1951
Consolidated to: Patoka High School District
Vernon HS team nickname: unavailable
Vernon HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable