The History of Varna High School
Varna (population 436) is located at the intersection of Il. Route 89 and Il. Route 17. This places Varna in the center of Marshall County. A city of reference would be Metamora located 20 miles southwest of Varna. The following Varna history was provided by our own Kev Varney:
Varna was platted in 1870, and grew due to the development of the Chicago & Alton & St. Louis Railroad, which ran a spur to the west to Lacon. That coincided with another spur that ran through LaRose (which, not only was platted in the same year as Varna, but is also represented on this website) as Varna grew quickly. Varna is named after a town of the same name in the country of Bulgaria.
The history of education in Varna goes back before the town was laid out as in 1869, the school district was organized with Thomas Quaintence as the first teacher. A two-year high school was opened on 1905, later to be expanded to four years in 1915. The school grew in numbers so much that an addition was built in 1922. A new high school building was constructed in 1940 and is pictured above. Varna High continued to stay in business until after the end of World War Two when the school district merged with the Lacon district to form Mid-County.
Mid-County H.S. was housed in the old Varna High School until 1972 when a modern facility was built between the two communities along Illinois 17. Another consolidation effort took place in 1995 with the addition of Sparland High School. The Midland High School District was established and is based in Varna.
The original Varna High School building still stands today. It is believed to be in use as an apartment building.
Varna High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s / early 1900s
Year closed: 1949
School nickname: “Green Dragons”
School colors: Green & White
School Fight Song: unavailable