|The History of Ursa High School
Ursa (population 595) is located in northwest Adams County in western Illinois. Illinois Route 96 meets Illinois Route 61 in Ursa. The Ursa Creek flows by the south side of town. Ursa is located about 7 miles north of Quincy. The Mississippi River flows about 5 miles to west of Ursa.
Ursa began an educational system in 1828 with a school made from logs, then built a school in the village in the early 1830’s, which later became outdated and used as barn when a new location with two rooms was opened in 1886.
The first high school in Ursa was opened in 1900 when a room was added onto the 1886 building as a one-year school. The level of education increased to two years in 1918 when the building was remodeled at the lower level and a second story was added. Four years later, it went to three years and remained there until 1948.
Ursa High School was supported by the townspeople for over four decades. In 1948, the towns of Ursa, Lima, Loraine, and Mendon agreed to consolidate their school efforts. Unity School District was formed through this effort (http://www.fourstar.lib.il.us/community/cusd4/who/).
Ursa was able to keep a grade school in town until it, too, was closed in 1957. The fate of the original Ursa High School building is being sought.
Ursa High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1900
Increased to 2-yrs 1918
Went to 3-yrs 1922
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Unity High School (Mendon)
School nickname: unavailable
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable