The History of St. Charles Valley Lutheran High School
St. Charles (population 32,134) is located in northeastern Illinois and is one of Chicago’s western suburbs. Illinois Route 64 is the main roadway leading to and from St. Charles. Illinois Routes 38, 31, and 25 also travel through St. Charles. The Fox River and Chicago & Northwestern Railroad both travel through town as well. St. Charles sits in the east-central portion of Kane County.
According to the Wikipedia website (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Charles,_Illinois) St. Charles was first settled in 1834 and became know as the town of St. Charles in 1839. It was officially incorporated as a city in 1874. The population of St. Charles was about 1,500 from 1850 through 1900. It has steadily in creased over the past 100 years to its current bustling status.
The history of the Valley Lutheran High School in St. Charles can be read about at the following address: http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us/history/farnsworth.htm . In sumary the school was opened in 1907 as an all-girls school run by the opened by the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, MI., as “Mount St. Mary’s Academy”. It spent some of its time as a boarding school. The Sisters ran it as a girls’ high school for some time.
It served in this capacity as a high school until it was closed in the spring of 1972. In the fall of 1974 it was reopened as Valley Lutheran High School, a co-educational school. Financial issues caused the closure of the school in 1991.The school has since reopened in Elgin.
The school building that once housed Mt. St. Mary Academy and Valley Lutheran High School was razed to make way for new housing. Special gratitude is extended to Mary Ann Zeszutko for many items of information provided on this page.
St. Charles Valley Lutheran High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1974
Year closed: 1991
Valley Luth. HS team nickname: the “Ventures”
Valley Luth. HS team colors: Columbia Blue, Black, and White
School Fight Song: “Valley Lutheran”
Sung to “On Wisconsin”
Submitted by DAVID BLACK
Valley Lutheran, Valley Lutheran
In the conquest, to the finish,