The History of South Chicago High School
Chicago (population 2.8 million) is located in far northeastern Illinois in the center of Cook County. It is currently the third largest cities in the United States of America and is one of the most famous cities in the world. Lake Michigan provides Chicago’s eastern most border. Several roadways and railroads, as well as O’Hare and Midway airports, will take you to the city of Chicago.
South Chicago High School was first opened in 1876 at the corner of 93rd and Houston as Bowen School, but it started accepting high schoolers in 1882 when it known as South Chicago High. It remained open until 1910 when Bowen HIgh School (named for James H. Bowen, considered “the Father of South Chicago”) was opened to replace South Chicago High.
The building that housed South Chicago remained in use as a branch for Bowen until 1960 before it was torn down. The community itself was developed in earnest after the Civil War as paper and steel mills began to come to South Chicago because of its location along Lake Michigan as well as the Calumet River. The city of Chicago later annexed South Chicago apparently sometime during the 1890’s as the city grew tremendously during the decade.
Today, Bowen High School remains and is the home to four smaller schools within its’ walls: Chicago Discovery Academy, Bowen Environmental Studies Team (BEST) High School, Global Visions Academy, and New Millennium School of Health.
FACTS ABOUT SOUTH CHICAGO HIGH SCHOOL
Year opened: 1882
Year closed: 1910
Now known as: Bowen High School
School colors: unknown
School nickname: unknown
School song: unknown