The History of Poplar Grove High School
Poplar Grove, Illinois (population 1,368) is located in the center of Boone County in Northern Illinois. Poplar Grove Road and Ill. Rt. 173 cross through the community that has seen a recent growth spurt as of late and is home to “Mean Gene’s” Pizzaria.
In 1838, the first school was built and it was replaced twice in 1849 and 1877. The first high school was established in 1905 in a building built in 1900 as a two-year high school but it eventually became a three-year school and then a four-year school. However, according to a book on the history of Poplar Grove, the school was changed again to a three-year school because “full credit was not given to graduates upon college.”
In 1946 and 1947 all of the country schools around Poplar Grove consolidated and crowded the building. As a result, high school-aged students were taken by bus to either Capron or Belvidere High Schools. As a result, the school in Capron and it’s High School (also listed on this site) became the North Boone School District. The IHSA.org website lists North Boone’s football and basketball records dating back to 1948 when this school was located in Capron. In 1957, the high school was relocated to a site north of Poplar Grove (near the small settlement of Beaverton Crossroads) and is listed as Poplar Grove North Boone high school.
The original Poplar Grove High School building was destroyed by fire in 1950 and replaced by another structure, which you see above as Poplar Grove Elementary School.
Poplar Grove High School “Quick Facts”:
Year of school origin: 1835
Year H.S. established: 1905
Year of ceasing of H.S. curriculum: 1947
Building status: Burned down in 1950, replaced
School Colors: Unknown
School Song: Unknown
School Mascot: Unknown