The History of Perry High School
Perry is located in western Illinois in north-central Pike County. The town and its population of 437 settled on Il. Rt. 107 approximately 40 miles west-north-west of Jacksonville. Information is needed as to the origin and history of the town.
A brief history of Perry High School was sent to us by Perry High School alum Lori Berquist (Class of 1975). The history was provided by Lori’s mother, Gwen Woods, a 1938 graduate of Perry High:
“Perry High School graduated its first class in 1879 with seven girls earning their diplomas. Perry was a three year school and remained a 3-yr. course until 1911, which was the first class to graduate from the 4-yr. high school. The school had a boys’ basketball team beginning in 1909, until the school merged with Griggsville in 1995. There was also a girls’ team about the same time,
Besides many successful sports teams, PHS also had many students who competed successfully in IHSA events in speech and music. The band program began in the 1930’s, and continued to the end. There was always active participation in drama, chorus, FFA and FHA. Over the years PHS graduates have become teachers (over 90 of them), college professors, doctors, dentists, lawyers, authors, fashion designers and other distinguished positions.”
Perry High School existed successfully for many years until a consolidation effort with nearby Griggsville was realized. This effort took place in 1995.
The former Perry High School building pictured above now serves as the grade school (Grades 5 – 8) for the Griggsville – Perry School District.
The Perry High School Alumni Association holds an annual meeting and banquet on the last Saturday of May (Memorial Day weekend)at the school building.
Perry High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1879
Year closed: 1995
School nickname: the “Pioneers”
School colors: Blue & White
School Fight Song: “Cheer for Perry High School”
Cheers for our high school,
You do your best boys,
We’ll do the rest boys.
RAH! RAH! RAH!