|The History of Palmer High School
Palmer (population 248) is located in central Illinois about 20 miles southeast of Springfield and 6 miles southwest of Taylorville. The town is situated in the southwestern portion of Christian County. Illinois Route 48 is the main roadway to and from Palmer. The Norfolk Southern Railroad runs along-side Route 48 and also travels through the town.
The history of the town of Palmer is given nicely on the Wikipedia web address of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer,_Illinois . In summary the article states the
Palmer was platted in 1869 along the new railroad line which was laid through the county. Palmer soon established its first businesses with a post office erected in 1870. The town was incorporated in 1873. The town was named after then-Illinois Governor John M. Palmer, who had also served as a major-general in the Union Army during the Civil War. Several businesses, including a coal mine, have served the town over the nearly 140 years it has existed.
The history of the Palmer School District is in need of research. We believe that a school was established in the late 1800s. A high school for the District was probably started in the late 1800s to early 1900s. It is possible that Palmer High School was never more than a three-year high school, but four years may have been offered.
Our guess is that along with many high schools of the 1940s that were the size of Palmer High, the enrollment did not meet state standards of the time. Palmer High School was likely closed in the late 1940s. The kids of Palmer were bussed to nearby Morrisonville to continue their educational needs. This arrangement continues through today.
The Palmer school building has been razed.
Palmer High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s / early 1900s?
Year closed: late 1940s?
Consolidated to: Morrisonville High School
Palmer HS team nickname: unavailable
Palmer HS team colors: unavailable
Palmer HS Fight Song: unavailable