The History of Omaha High School
Omaha (population 263) is located in far southeastern Illinois in northwestern Gallatin County. Illinois Route 1 runs through the center of Omaha and connects it to Illinois Route 141 just one mile to the north. The Prairie Trunk Railroad runs to the east of Omaha. A branch of the Cane Creek flows to the east of town as well. Harrisburg sits about 20 miles southwest of Omaha.
The village of Omaha was first established in 1871 along the St. Louis & Southeastern Railroad line. It was named by a baggage handler who worked for the railroad named Henry Pearce. Mr. Pearce originally worked in Omaha, Nebraska and named the town after his original work-place town. The fillage was incorporated in 1888. (“Place Names of Illinois” by Edward Callary)
The following history of the Omaha School system was provided by David Cantrell.
“The first school in Omaha was established in 1874. It is unknown when the high school was created. In 1953, Omaha consolidated with Norris City forming the Norris City-Omaha (NCO) Community Unit Number 3 High School.
– History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1887
– Edward Oliver, Villager’s Voice, May 25, 2016”
In 1985 Enfield joined Norris City-Omaha to create the Norris City-Omaha-Enfield School District. The fate of the original Omaha school building is being sought.
Omaha High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s / early 1900s
Year closed: 1953
Consolidated to: Norris City-Omaha School District
Omaha HS team nickname: unavailable
Omaha HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable