The History of North Henderson High School
North Henderson (population 187) is located in western Illinois in the far southeastern portion of Mercer County. North Henderson is located at the intersection of County Highways 6 and 12. According to www.mapquest.com North Henderson is about 5 blocks from north to south and 4 blocks from east to west. The village is situated about 12 miles northwest of Galesburg.
According to a book titled “Place Names of Illinois” by Edward Callary the town was named after a creek that flows through Knox, Mercer, Warren, and Henderson counties. Henderson Creek empties into the Mississippi River near Gladstone. The reason for the name of the creek is not known.
A book found on-line titled “History of Mercer County” published in 1882 by H. H. Hill & Company (page 796) states that the town of North Henderson, at that time, was quite a flourishing community. It was built along the St. Louis Branch of the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Railroad.,North Henderson was “laid out” in 1871. By 1880 several businesses, including four doctors, had established themselves in town. North Henderson also had a two-story school house at that time.
We believe that North Henderson supported a high school during the early 1900s through research conducted by our own Beau Spencer. While conducting research Beau located a football schedule of the former William & Vashti College (http://slacey19690.jimdo.com/defunct-schools/william-vashti/) located in Aledo, IL. In the fall of 1916 the William & Vasti College football team took on the North Henderson High School football team. William & Vashti prevailed in this game (30 – 0).
A Moline Dispatch Newspaper article from April 1920 states that the residents of North Henderson voted down the opportunity to build a new high school building in town. The article does not state the reason the vote was against the new building. However, it is possible this sealed the fate of the future of North Henderson High School.
It is likely that North Henderson High School existed from the late 1800s through, possibly, the 1940s. It is also likely that North Henderson High School was absorbed into the Alexis School District in the late 1940s. We do know that the children of North Henderson today attend school as part of the Monmouth United School District.
North Henderson High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s?
Year closed: late 1940s?
Consolidated to: Alexis High School (now Monmouth United High School)
North Henderson HS nickname:??
North Henderson HS colors: ??
School Fight Song: ??