|The History of Nason High School
Nason (population 234) is located in Elk Prairie Township in southern Jefferson County , about 11 miles southwest of Mt. Vernon . Modern-day Nason is located on a peninsula between the two northern arms of Rend Lake (“Nason Point”). The following information on Nason and Nason High Scbool is primarily from the Rootsweb (http://www.rootsweb.com/~iljeffer/prairiehistorian/nason.html) and Geneologytrails websites for Jefferson County.
The village of Nason was laid out in 1923. Coal company owner A. J. Nason was starting a new coal mine and wanted a “model city” near the mine site. The Nason mine opened in 1924 and the village quickly grew to an estimated 1500 people. Like many Illinois mining towns, the population of Nason included many people of Italian and Eastern European descent. The extremely deep Nason mine (over 700 feet) unfortunately was plagued with constant ground water problems. Around 1927, Nason’s company went into receivership and the mine closed briefly. It was eventually reopened, but closed for good in 1932. A second mine at Nason opened in 1938 and operated until 1951. By 1965, the village was nearly deserted. The opening of Rend Lake in 1973 brought some new construction to the area, along with recreational opportunities.
Nason High School was started in 1924 in a two-room building on the east side of the village. Nason was a 2-year high school. A small gymnasium building was located on the north side of town, where Nason played basketball games against other area schools. In 1935, during the period after the first mine closed, Nason High was also closed. The gymnasium building was reportedly moved to nearby Waltonville.
Nason students today attend Waltonville High School . Additional information and pictures of Nason High School are needed.