The History of Montrose High School
Montrose (population 270) is located in southeastern Illinois about eight miles northeast of Effingham. Montrose occupies the northeast corner of Effingham County. U.S. Route 40 passes through town and Interstate Highway 70 passes just to the north of Montrose. The Conrail Railroad runs alongside Route 40 and passes through Montrose as well.
The history of Montrose and its former high school are in need of research. Delaine Donaldson advises that Montrose High School was started in 1914. It served the city and surrounding farm kids for about 34 years. It was in 1948 that it was decided to merge the educational efforts of Montrose and nearby Dieterich. The high school students began attending Dieterich High in the fall of 1948.
The Montrose High School building continued in its use as a grade school for the Dieterich school system for several years until it, too, was closed. The fate of the building is being sought.
Montrose High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1914
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Dieterich High School
Montrose HS team nickname: “Mustangs”
Montrose HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable