The History of Modesto High School
Modesto (population 252) is located in the lower porton of west-central Illinois. The town is about 20 miles southwest of Springfield and 20 miles southeast of Jacksonville. Modesto was established in the northwestern portion of Macoupin County. Illinois Route 111 is the main roadway to and from Modesto connecting it to Palmyra just four miles to the south. A railroad line had a major influence on Modesto’s early growth and development.
The history of Modesto can be viewed at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilmacoup/history/modesto.txt . Basicaly Modesto was established along the Chicago, Peoria, & St. Louis Railroad line in 1882. It was officially incorporated as an Illinois town in 1896. It was named by an early settler of the area after the town of Modesto, California.
The history of the school system is in need of research. It is probable that Modesto had a school for its children in place by the early 1900s. A high school curriculum was likely established in the early 19-teens. We know that Modesto High School served the town and surrounding farm children for about 40 years. It was in the late 1940s that consolidation talks between the northwestern Macoupin County towns of Modesto, Palmyra, Scottville, and Hettick began. The towns agreed to the effort and created the Northwestern School District in 1948.
The fate of the Modesto school building is being sought. The high school for the Northwestern School District landed in or near Palmyra. In fact all grades for the Northwestern District are located in a building in Palmyra. If you have this information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Modesto High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early 1900s
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Northwestern School District (Palmyra)
Modesto HS team nickname: unavailable
Modesto HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable