The History of Medora High School
Medora (population 501) is located in southwestern Illinois in eastern Macoupin County. Illinois Route 111 is the main roadway to Medora and Illinois Route 267 branches off to the northwest beginnning (or ending) in Medora. A branch of the Macoupin Creek flows through the north side of town. Two larger towns near Medora include Jerseyville, 10 miles to the northeast, and Alton, 20 miles to the south.
Medora’s history and the history of her school system are in need of research from an area fan. It is probable that a high school was started for Medora children in the late 1800s. The high school served the community for over five decades. In the late 1940s and early 1950s a major consolidation effort began between Medora and appproximately 20 other area schools including Shipman and Brighton. This effort resulted in the development of the Southwestern School District in 1955. A high school complex was developed near the tiny hamlet of Piasa for the new school district. The larger towns of the consolidation effort, including Medora, maintained a grade school in their town that was part of the Southwestern School DIstrict.
The original Medora High School building serves as the grade school mentioned above for grades PK – 6. A photo of this school building is being sought.
Medora High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s
Year “new” building built: 1930
Year closed: 1955
Consolidated to: Southwestern School District (Piasa)
Medora HS team nickname: the “Tigers”
Medora HS team colors: Purple & Gold
Medora HS Fight Song: Medora Loyalty Song
And when we end our high school days,
Knowledge is our quest be we,
Don’t forget M.T.H.S.
Written By Helen Secor