The History of Mansfield High School
Mansfield (population 949) is located in eastern Illinois in far northern Piatt County. The town is located on U.S. Route 150 about 11 miles northwest of Champaign. Interstate Highway 74 passes just north of Mansfield as well. Lake Mansfield and the Madden Creek lay to the north of town as well. The Conrail Railroad parallels US Route 150 while the Norfolk & Western Railroad intersects with the Conrail and runs north and south though town. Mansfield was established in 1870 and named after a town of the same name in Ohio. Mansfield was officially recognized as a town in 1876.
The following history information regarding Mansfield High School was provided to us by Patricia (Shores) Amdor (MHS Class of 1963):
“The first high school courses at Mansfield were offered in the late 1880s and were held in a frame school building on the north side of town. The first graduating class from Mansfield High School was the class of 1890 with 3 students earning their diplomas. In 1894 a new brick school building was erected which housed both the grade school and high school. In 1920 an addition was made to the brick school building to provide room for the growing enrollment. In 1921 Mansfield Community High School District was officially organized. Originally, all the students who graduated from the one-room country grade schools came into Mansfield for high school. Later, when all the one room schools closed, that building became the grade school. A new brick high school building (pictured above) was erected in the late 1930s with the class of 1940 (with 22 students) becoming the first group to graduate from this building.”
Mansfield High School served the community and surrounding farm children from approximately 1887 through 1971. It was in December of 1970 that the residents of Mansfield and Farmer City agreed to consolidate their school districts. The vote was an overwhelming in favor of consolidation. The vote totals of each area of the district follows:
Mansfield: 144 for / 82 against.
Mansfield Rural: 118 for / 48 against.
Farmer City: 292 for / 148 against.
It was in July of 1971 that the consolidation of the two school districts became official. Students of both schools later agreed the name of the new school district would be Farmer City-Mansfield. The high school for the new district was located in Farmer City. The Mansfield High School building was used as the FC-M Junior High School. Farmer City-Mansfield was joined by Bellflower High School in 1985. The name of the school district was changed to the Blue Ridge School District.. The Mansfield HS building today serves as Blue Ridge Junior High.
Mansfield High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800’s
Year closed: 1971
Consolidated to: Farmer City-Mansfield High School
Mansfield HS nickname: the “Cardinals”
School colors: Red & White
School Fight Song: “Mansfield Loyalty”
We’re loyal to you, Mansfield High,
We’re red and we’re white, Mansfield High,
We’ll back you to stand,
‘gainst the best in the land,
For we know that you can, Mansfield High!!
So go down that (court / field), Mansfield High
And bring up the score, Mansfield High.
Our team is the greatest team,
So come on and let’s all scream
For we want a victory Mansfield High!!
**Special thanks to DONNA (WOLF) ROBERTS for providing the fight song!