The History of Manito High School
Manito (population 1,733) is located in central Illinois about 20 miles southwest of Peoria. Roads leading to the northeastern Mason County city are County Road #4 and County Road #15. The Chicago & Midland Railroad also leads you through the town of Manito.
Research and information is scarce on the internet regarding the history of Manito and its high school. It is quite probable that Manito offered an educational system for its children by the late 1800s. We are told a log cabin schoolhouse was in place in the Manito area by 1854, though it burned down within a few years after its construction. It is probable that high school curriculum was in place by the late 1800s. Manito residents supported their own high school for several decades. In the late 1940’s, consolidation talks arose between Manito and other local school districts in its immediate area. The talks resulted in the formation of the Forman School District in what appears to have taken place in 1951.
Manito Forman served the town until it was part of another consolidation effort resulting in the Midwest Central School District being formed in 1991. The high school for this district is still held in Manito.
Manito High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800’s
Year Consolidated to Forman: 1951
Manito HS team nickname: the “Tigers”
Manito School colors: unavailable
Manito HS Fight Song: unavailable