The History of Mackinaw High School
Mackinaw (population 1,452) is located in central Illinois about 15 miles east of Pekin and 17 miles west of Bloomington. The town was established in the east-central portion of Tazewell County in 1827. It was, from 1827 to 1831, the county seat of Tazewell County. Illinois Route 9 is the main road through Mackinaw. The Sugar Creek flows to the south of town and the Mackinaw River flows to the north and west of town. Conrail Railroad runs along-side Illinois Route 9 as it passes through Mackinaw as well. The town has a website located at www.mackinawillinois.com .
It is believed Mackinaw residents began an educational process for their children soon after the village was established. This probably was set in place in the mid- to late-1800’s. At some point a form of high school was established, however the exact year is not known. The high school served the town of Mackinaw through the late 1940’s. It was then that consolidation talks with nearby neighbor to the north, Deer Creek took place. The residents of the two towns agreed to join their school districts at the end of the 1948-49 school year. Deer Creek-Mackinaw School District was established and began in the fall of 1949.
Ted Laidig tells us the original Mackinaw High School brick building constructed in 1914 was still in use through approximately 2009 as part of the “Dee-Mack” school system. Ted advises “The last of the old school built in 1914 was torn down about 3 years ago (2009) as it was deemed too costly to upgrade to pending state mandates.” A photo of this school taken by Jon Wheat in December of 2005 is shown at the bottom of this page.
Mackinaw High School Quick Facts
Brick School building built: 1914
Year consolidated: 1949
Consolidated to: Deer Creek-Mackinaw High School
School Building: Still used as part of “Dee-Mack” High School
Mackinaw H.S. nickname: the “Rams”
School colors: Green, Black, & White
School Fight Song: unavailable