The History of Ludlow High School
Ludlow (population 324) is located in east-central Illinois in the north-central portion of Champaign County. The town is located about 18 miles northeast of the city of Champaign. U.S. Route 45 is the main roadway to and from Ludlow while Interstate Highway 57 passes by the west side of town. The Illinois Central Railroad passes through Ludlow. The Upper Salt Fork Creek flows by the south side of town.
A nice history of the town of Ludlow can be viewed at the Illinois General Web addresses of http://champaign.ilgenweb.net/towns-townships/ludlowtwnshp.html and http://champaign.ilgenweb.net/towns-townships/harwoodtwnshp.html . The latter provides the following history of the town:
“Mr. James D. Ludlow was born in the year 1822, near Cincinnati, Ohio, and came to Illinois in 1853 as the agent of Michael L. Sullivant, for whom he purchased most of the great farm on the southwest corner of the county, known as ” Broadlands.” He also acted as agent in the purchase at the Danville land office of most of the tract of forty thousand acres in Ford and Livingston counties, which formed Mr. Sullivant’s famous farm. After making this settlement in Harwood township, Mr. Ludlow began making improvements, and wisely set out a number of varieties of fruit and forest trees, which give the grounds adjoining his residence a beautiful appearance and demonstrate what can be done in the way of furnishing shade and shelter to these open prairies. The town and township of Ludlow were so named in his honor.”
The following historical information regarding Ludlow and its former high school was provided by Ross Brown:
“Ludlow was originally nicknamed “Pera.” Due to the prior establishment of Peru in northern Illinois, the postal service in 1868 asked town officials to change its name, which they did to honor Mr. Ludlow.
The first school was conducted by Miss Mary Wood in the Illinois Central Freight House. This school was furnished only with boxes and boards. The second school was located in the former Baptist church. Finally, land was donated and a school was built at the present school site in 1902.
Ludlow supported grade school students as well as a three-year high school through 1948. In 1948, voters in Flatville, Gifford, Ludlow, Rantoul and Thomasboro voted to establish the Rantoul Township High School District 193. Each community maintains a separate grade school district and then sends students to Rantoul for high school.”
Ludlow High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early 1900s?
Year closed; 1948
Consolidated to: Rantoul Township High School
Ludlow HS team nickname: unavailable
Ludlow HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable