The History of Hull High School
Hull (population 474) is located at the intersection of Illinois Routes 106 and 96 in western Illinois’ Pike County. Interstate Highway 72 has an exit for Hull also. Hull is located eight miles east of the Mississippi River, close enough to feel the effects of a bad flood (and they have!). A branch of the Walnut Creek cuts through town as does a line of the Norfolk & Western Railroad. Quincy is located about 15 miles northwest of Hull. Hull is probably named after early settlers of the same last name. The above photo was taken from the Pike County web site: http://www.pikeil.org/communities/hull.html .
The history of Hull’s support of its own school system is not available in great detail. The late 1800s is a good bet for its start. In either 1948 or 1949 Hull High School conslidated with nearby Kinderhook High and New Canton High to form the West Pike School District. Kinderhook landed the High School while Hull is still home to the West Pike Elementary school (pictured above) for grades PK – 5.
Former West Pike High School Coach Richard Heitholt offered the following information on Hull High School:
“The original high school building which was home to the famous basketball team burned in 1945. Many of the students from Hull went across the river to high school in Hannibal, Mo. until the new West Pike district was formed in 1948 or 1949.”
The following timeline was provided by long-time Hull resident Dixie Ward:
In 1945 the Hull High School building was destroyed by fire.
1947-49 Community meetings were held to organize West Pike Community Unit District #2
1948-49 Bonds were approved and renovation began at New Canton to build suitable facility for elementary students
1949-50 Construction begins on Hull Elementary School building.
Midterm 1950 All 27 rural schools in the district close. Students move to the Hull High School Gymnasium which is a separate building from the school that burned. New Canton High moves to Kinderhook High School. Kinderhook grade school students move to New Canton High building.
1950-51 Hull area students leave old gym at Christmas bread and move into new Hull elementary building for opening January 2.
1951-52 Hull Elementary School houses grades 1-8 and 1-3 from Kinderhook. New Canton Elementary houses grades 1-8 and 4-6 from Kinderhook. Grades 9-12 continue to go to Kinderhook High School.
1952-53 Kinderhook High School closes. West Pike High School opens for grades 7-12. New Canton houses grades 1-6 from the southern part of the district. Hull houses grades 1-6 from the northern part of the district.
Two nice photos of students at Hull school can be viewed at http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#8
Hull High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s
Year closed: 1949
Consolidated to: West Pike School District (Kinderhook)
School nickname: “Hornets”
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable