The History of Hillview High School
Hillivew (population 179) Is located in northwestern Greene County in southwestern Illinois. For reference how about Jacksonville located about 25 miles northeast of Hillview. The Greene County Highway intersects with County Road 10 in Hillview. Hurricane Creek flows through town and was instrumental in the early settlement of the town. The first settler arrived and built a cabin on the land that is now Hillview in 1836. The town was a major lumber camp in the area in the 1800s and was known as Happyville. Railroad tracks (now run by the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad) were soon laid along the Hurricane Creek and Hilllview was renamed and incorporated in 1903. To read a brief but informative history of Hillview check out this web page: http://www.greene-county.com/hillview.htm . The photo above was found on this page (easy to see where the town name originates) .
Education in Hillview is need of research. One would assume some type of education was afforded the children of Hillview in the mid to late 1800s. The high school was probably started at or near the incorporation date of 1903. It served the town for some time. Eventually, probably in the late 1940s, Hillview High School closed with the Hillview kids being bused 8 miles to the east to White Hall to attend high school.
The Hillview school building was used as a an elementary school until it was decided to close it in (approxiamtely) 1987. The high school building is still standing in Hillview. The photos on this page were submitted by John Strain.
Hillview High School Quick Facts
Year opened: around 1903 / maybe sooner
Year closed: 1954(?)
Consolidated to: White Hall North Greene
School nickname: “Pirates”
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable