The History of Hanover High School
Hanover (population 836) is located in far northwestern Illinois in the southwestern area of Jo Daviess County. The town is nestled quietly on Illinois Route 84 about four miles south of U.S. Route 20. The Apple River winds through and around Hanover and was very instrumental in the town’s location and early growth. To give you an idea of how far northwest Hanover is located in Illinois, it is 20 miles south of Wisconsin and six miles east of Iowa. It is also both about six miles east of the Mississippi River AND four miles north of the Mississippi River. Check it out on Map Quest (www.mapquest.com)
An official Jo Daviess website page http://www.hanover-il.com/abouthan/history.htm describes Hanover’s early history:
“The present site of Hanover was a Sac and Fox Indian village when white settlers came to farm the area in 1828. A natural drop in the Apple River made the location ideal as a dam and mill site, the first of which was built in 1829 by James Craig. The settlement was initially known as “Craigsville,” but in 1838 Craig laid out and platted the streets in the village and renamed the community Wapello after the chief of the Indian village. In 1849 the name was again changed, this time to Hanover. The village became incorporated in 1877.”
The same webpage describes the educational history of Hanover in this manner:
“Hanover township had many one-room schoolhouses from the 1840s onward. The last one, Lost Mound, closed in 1960. A two-story brick school was constructed in 1863 where White Park now stands. In 1929, the Hanover school building was constructed, and the old school was torn down in 1935. The present school building will cease use in 2003 when the new River Ridge School is built.”
It would be safe to say that high school curriculum was established for Hanover kids by the late 1800s, probably in the 1870s or so. The high school proudly served the residents of Hanover for about 100 years. In the early 1980s consolidation talks were initiated with nearby Elizabeth (also on this site). Their talks became a reality in 1985 with the creation of the River Ridge School District (http://www.riverridge210.org/) .
The high school building in Hanover was used for the River Ridge grade school from 1985 until 2003. It was in 2003 when a new, all-inclusive school complex was built between the towns of Hanover and Elizabeth. The Hanover school building is now used as a community center for the Hanover Township Park District.
Hanover High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s
Year closed: 1985
Consolidated to: River Ridge School District (Hanover)
School nickname: the “Red Devils”
School colors: Red & White
School Fight Song: “Our Director”
Thank you to Brian Callahan
Go, Hanover High School. Go Hanover High.
H.. A… N… O… V… E.. R.
Oh, here’s to our dear high school.
Lets treat her right.
We’ve got a team that always wins a fight.
Rah, Rah, Rah.
Here’s to our dear fellows doing their best.
Winning a victory for H. H. S. !!