|The History of Glen Ellyn High School
Glen Ellyn, Illinois is one of the west central suburbs of Chicago, with a population of 27,000. It is accessible through the Interstate 88 exit onto Illinois 53, and the Interstate 355 exits onto Routes 38, 56 and 64. The Metra Union Pacific West line runs through Glen Ellyn.
First settled in the 1840s, the name Glen Ellyn came to be in 1891. Schools were organized during the turn of the century.
Talks of creating a high school in the Glen Ellyn district began during the 1910s. The Glen Ellyn and Lombard school districts wanted to combine efforts to build a high school for both communities. The idea was shelved in favor of a high school for Glen Ellyn students, which was founded in 1915. The school became a four-year one in 1917.
Teachers in the school during the inception were Arthur Holtzman and Erin McMechan. The first class graduated in 1917 with 16 students. By 1918 enrollment in the high school was at 150 students.
Glen Ellyn High School survived on its own until 1922. By then a decision to take in students from the Lombard district was put on the ballot. Two-thirds of the residents approved. The high school moved into a new building, and renamed Glenbard High School.
The Glenbard District has four high schools, two of which (West and South) are located in Glen Ellyn.
The DuPage County Bank Building, pictured above, housed Glen Ellyn High School on the top floor.