The History of Fountain Green High School
Fountain Green (population approximately 200) is located in upper-western Illinois in the east-central area of Hancock County. County Highways 17 and 4 are the main roadways to and from Fountain Green. According to www.mapquest.com Fountain Green is four blocks from east to west and three blocks from north to south. The town of Fountain Green is about 10 miles northeast of Carthage and 20 miles west of Macomb.
A nice history of the town and township of Fountain Green can be viewed on the Wikipedia web page address of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_Green,_Illinois . A brief summary of this article states that the area of Fountain Green was first settled in the 1830s. A church was established there in 1850. The railroad also laid tracks through the area. Fountain Green prospered for a short while due to the mining of “Black Thunder” coal in the area. The town slowly faded to its current population once the mines were closed.
We know through research conducted on the RootsWeb webpage of
the town of Fountain Green supported a very successful school system as well. It was likely that the first schools were built in the late 1800s.
We know for sure that Fountain Green established a high school in 1921. This school was a three-year high school. Keith Bruns found the following information regarding Fountain Green High School while conducting research in the Carthage Replican newspaper:
“A Carthage newspaper of August 27, 1930 states that the Fountain Green High School opened on August 25th for its ninth term with a larger enrollment than the last two years. The Fountain Green High School offers only a three year course. The principal is Lester E. Foote and the assistant principal is Hollis Melvin.”
We know through the above mentioned page that Fountain Green High School was closed after the 1947-48 school year. Students of Fountain Green were then sent to nearby Blandinsville to attend high school. Later the students joined the LaHarpe school district. The students today attend Carthage Illini West High School.
Another VERY informative web address about the history of the Fountain Green school system was found by Roberta VanBriesen and can be viewed at:
The Fountain Green High School building that was built in 1939 burned down in 1958.
Fountain Green High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1921
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Blandinsville
Fountain Green HS team nickname: unavailable
Fountain Green HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable