The History of Cutler High School
Cutler (population 543) is located in southwestern Illinois about 35 miles northwest of Carbondale and 20 miles west of Du Quoin. The town sits in the southwestern portion of Perry County. Illinois Route 150 is the main roadway to and from Cutler. County Highway 5, also known as Trico Road, will lead you to Cutler as well.
The following provide history information about the town of Cutler and its former school system:
In a book titled “History of Perry County, Illinois” by Turner Publishing Company (page 63) the following history of the town of Cutler and its former high school is available:
Pioneers began to settle the area in which Cutler was eventually established as early as 1825, The village of Cutler was first settled in 1873. It was not incorporated as a village however until 1907. The town is named after a surveyor for the Tamoroa, Chester, and Western Railroad named Cutler Dawson.
The first school in Cutler was a frame building. It was replaced by a brick building iin 1929. This brick building housed both a grade school and a high school. The high school existed through the 1947-48 school year. It was in that year that the towns of Campbell Hill, Willisville, and Cutler agreed to consolidate their high schools.
The new school district was called the Trico School District. The high school was located with an address in Campbell Hill. The Cutler school continued to serve as a grade school through the 1973 school year when it was closed as a school. The town continues to use it for functions including a post office.
Cutler High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1929
Year closed: 1948
Consolidated to: Trico High School (Campbell Hill)
Cutler HS nickname: “Bulldogs”
Team uniform colors: Red & White
School Fight Song: unavailable