|The History of Chicago Westcott Vocational High SchoolChicago (population 2.8 million) is located in far northeastern Illinois in the center of Cook County. Lake Michigan (one of the “Great Lakes”) serves as Chicago’s eastern border. Chicago is one of the largest cities in the United States and boasts of several museums making it a fantastic place to visit for history buffs. It is also home to several professional sports teams, most noteably the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, and White Sox.Chicago has strived to provide a good education for its children. High schools have been built in Chicago since the early 1850s. In addtion to the many high schools have been established over the years are those which have went through name changes and identity makeovers. One of these such schools was Wescott High School.Wescott High School was the predecessor to the current and very well-known Simeon High School. A history of Wescott High School and, ultimately, Simeon High School can be found on the Simeon Career Academy High Schoool website address of http://simeonca.org/about/history.jsp. A brief summary of this page is as follows:
Westcott Vocational High School (named after Oliver Spink Westcott, a well-known former principal and administrator in the Chicago school system) was established in a school building at 8023 South Normal Avenue. The building had formally served as Calumet High School and Vocational High School until 1946. In 1948 the first high school students began classes in the building which was now known as Westcott Continuation School. A year later, the school was established as Chicago Westcott Vocational High School as the need for vocational education opportunities for boys and girls alike was realized.
This arrangement continued through 1962 when students from the all-girls vocational school called Princeton were moved into the Westcott building, and the boys were moved to the Tilden High School building. In 1963 the city of Chicago “bought” a warehouse building located at 8235 S. Vincennes from the Kroger company for a cost of $1. The building was renovated and made available for occupancy in December of that year. The entire building was ready for both male and female students in the fall of 1964. The kids of Westcott and Princeton schools moved into the building under a new name. That name was the Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School.
Simeon Career Academy, as the school is known today, was moved to a brand-new building at 8147 S. Vincennes in 2003. The fate of the original Westcott building is not known at this time.
Chicago Westcott High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1948
Year name changed to Simeon: 1964
Westcott HS team nickname: “Wolverines”
Westcott HS team uniform colors: Royal Blue & Gold
School Fight Song: unavailable