The History of Chicago Loring High School for Girls
Chicago (population: 2.8 million people) is the third largest city in the United States, located on the shores of Lake Michigan in northeastern Illinois. It was the fastest growing city in the US during the second half of the 19th Century. This was accomplished in spite of the great fire in 1871 that wiped out a good portion of the city. The early growth included the annexing numerous communities such as Woodlawn, Roseland, Englewood, Lake, Rogers Park, Humboldt Park, Forrestville, and Pilsen.
Interstates 55, 57, 90, and 94 will take you to the city, along with other highways with state and US designations, train service, and air travel to/from O’Hare International Airport as well as Midway Airport, both of which serve many travelers daily. As the city grew, Chicago became a melting pot of cultures and people with countless nationalities showing representation in the “Windy City.”
The fact that Loring High School even existed was brought to our attention by Nan Brennan. Nan sent us the following information obtained from various sources.
THE HANDBOOK OF AMERICAN PRIVATE SCHOOLS, published in 1916, had this to say about Kenwood-Loring High School:
“The Kenwood-Loring School, 4600 Ellis Avenue, was formed by the merging of the Kenwood Institute, dating from 1885, with the Loring School, established in 1876. There is a large day school with a seperate residence for the boarders. The school is cooperative with the University of Chicago and has sent over 200 girls to eastern women’s colleges.”
According to the web address of http://kenwoodevolution.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/khs-evolution.pdf this merger took place in 1911. It is difficult to dicern the events from that point forward. We believe it was in approximately 1926 when the Loring School for Girls was built at the intersection of 107th Street and Longwood Drive.in Chicago’s Beverly-Morgan Park Community.
Loring High School for Girls was considered a sister school to Morgan Park Military Academy which became the coed Morgan Park Academy.Mary Astor’s mother taught at Loring and silent screen star Miss Dupont attended the school.
This notice is from the Hyde Park Herald pblished in 1920:
“The Kenwood-Loring School ESTABLISHED 1876 4600 Ellis Avenue. This was a Boarding School for Girls. Kindergarten through High School. Cooperative with the University of Chicago. Member of the North Central Association. Prepares for all colleges and universities admitting women. This school has prepared more than 300 girls for college. Fall term opens September 16, 1929. REVEREND N. B. CLlNCH— President STELLA GIFFORD LORlNG— Principal.”
Two web addresses to purchase items from Loring High School include:
Donna Staynar tells us one thing it for certain. Sadly, Chicago Loring High School for Girls closed at the end of the 1961-62 school year. Donna was a member of the final graduating class of 15 girls. A photo of the final class is seen below.
Members of the final graduating class of 1962 as viewed in the photo above:
Bottom row, left to right:
Judith Stark, Julianne Thompson, Pamela Cowan, Carole O’Connell, Jean Fern, Donna Ladas, Linda Rennie
Top row, left to right:
Janice Erickson, Bobette Giacone, Kathryn McEachern, Christine Rohe, Carol Maier, Gail Swanson, Roberta Krasin, Jerri Jansma
Loring High School for Girls Quick Facts
Year Loring HS opened: 1876
Year merged with Kenwood: 1911
Year became Loring HS for Girls: 1926
Year closed: 1962
Loring High School for Girls likely did not offer interschoilstic athletics.