The History of Chicago Cathedral High School
Chicago (population 2.8 million) is in northeastern Illinois in eastern Cook County. Lake Michigan, along with the Chicago and Des Plaines Rivers are the main waterways in the city. Interstates 55, 57, 90, & 94 will all lead you to the “Windy City.” From what started as a small village in the early 1800’s along the banks of Lake Michigan, Chicago has grown to become the nation’s third largest city.
The history of Cathedral High School started as Holy Name Cathedral High School in downtown Chicago on North State Street in 1937 as a co-ed institution. It was opened by Monsignor Joseph Morrison, who was the rector of the namesake Cathedral, as one of six co-ed schools opened at George Cardinal Mundelein’s request.
We do know that the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary as well as the priests that were assigned to the Cathedral were on the faculty. Following the death of Cardinal Mundelein, the school was renamed Mundelein Cathedral High School in 1939, but later shortened to Cathedral at a later date which has not been found. Due to a small enrollment and perhaps increasing operating costs, Cathedral High School closed her doors in 1994.
Cathedral High School was primarily a smaller-sized Catholic HS. Any further insight you can offer regarding Cathedral High School would be greatly appreciated and shared on this page.
An anonymous source offered this information on the history of the school:
“The name Mundelein Cathedral High School, remained until 1959, when they built a new school, and renamed it Cathedral High School. The school colors were blue & white. They also changed the school song, from “Mundelein the School we love the best”, to “Cathedral High”.”
The building that housed the school is still used today. According to the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Cardinal Bernadin Archives and Research Center’s Julie Satzik, it is one of the locations for Frances Xavier Warde School, which is run by Old St. Patrick’s Parish in Chicago.
Chicago Cathedral High School Quick Facts
Year opened as Holy Name Cathedral HS: 1937
Renamed Mundelein Cathedral HS: 1939
Renamed simply Cathedral High School: 1959
Year closed: 1994
School team nickname: the “Pirates”
School team colors: Blue & White
School Fight Song: “Mundelein, The School We Love Best”