|Carlock High School|
|1916 – 1948|
|Carlock Grade School 2011 (Former HS?)|
The History of Carlock High School
Carlock (population 456) is located eight miles northwest of Bloomington-Normal along Interstate 74 and U.S. Route 150 in central Illinois. The Norfolk and Western RR goes thru the village, and Rock Creek runs to the north.
The village is named after John Franklin Carlock, who founded the community in 1888 when the Lake Erie and Western RR decided to lay tracks down thru 40 acres of his farm. Carlock was an entrepreneur that played a big role in getting the community with his name up and running, acting as a owner of a lumberyard and general store, plus was a realtor and superintendent of Sunday School at Carlock Christian Church. Carlock’s father Winton along with his grandfather Abraham were also prominent citizens in Carlock during its early days.
Education was offered as early as 1863 in the area around Carlock, in the two townships (Dry Grove and White Oak). However, the schooling for Carlock students moved into the village in 1893 at the insistance of residents who did not want their children walking along the railroad tracks to the nearest school. High School classes did not begin until 1906, with a second year added sometime after that, followed by a third year. A four-year school opened in 1914 when voters approved the formation of a township high school.
Having lost two elections in 1941 to build a new school by narrow margins, the state stepped in and declared the building (which had been purchased from the Carlock Christian Church in 1914) to be inadequate, and in 1948, Carlock joined up with the Normal Unit 5 district. Some students also came from nearby Congerville, which now is part of the Eureka district. The school building was torn down in 1950, while the neighboring gym (built in 1925) was declared unsafe in 1961.
The White Oak Township Hall in Carlock houses some of the trophies and memorabilia from the former Carlock High School.
Carlock High School Quick Facts
Year began as a two-year school: 1906
Opened a four-year institution: 1914
Graduates in first class (1918): 4
Year closed: 1948
Number of graduates in final class: 15
Most graduates in one class: 23 (1932)
Annexed to: Normal Unit #5 School District
Carlock HS School colors: Blue and Gold
School nickname: the “Eagles”
School song: unavailable
It is known that Carlock offered basketball and baseball, possibly track as well. There was girls’ basketball as well during the time that the school was open.
1931-32 20- 7 McLean County Tourney Champs Coach Kenton Kendall
1947-48 4-15 Final Season Coach Robert Hamilton
Pictured in Photo Above:
Back Row, Left to Right: Walter Fogle, John Wallace, Wayne Schwartz, Coach Kenton Kendall, Shelby Dosher, Halbert Woosley, Charles Gerber
Front Row, Left to Right: Anson Yoder, Virgil Reum, Robert Risser, John Treece, Cecil McDonald, Elmo Zimmerman
Pictured in the Photo Above
Front Row, Left to Right: Virgil Hepperly, Bob Hamilton, Fred Larson, Harold “Red” Swearingen, Junior Alexander, Elvin Hartzler, Lloyd Partner
Back Row, Left to Right: Bud Schad, Jim Esh, Joe Zimmerman, Glen Myers, Alonzo Groves, Harold Esh, Jim Moreland, Bud Engle, Bob Fry
The Eagles did have a baseball team competed in the fall in the McLean County League. During the school’s final season, Carlock came home with a winning record, but the name of the coach is unknown.
In 1931, the graduating class of Carlock High School consisted of 11 boys and no girls!
We need your help……
..in finding out more about Carlock High School and its’ history. Whether it be athletic-related or about the schools’ history, you can email us information and photos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or we’ll be glad to take them via regular mail. Just send them to us at:
Illinois HS Glory Days
Bottom row (l-r): Eileen Fowler, Loren Detweiler, Betty Fogle, Charles E. Maxwell, Doris Woosley.
Middle row: Ethel Williams, Albert Moote, Mary Lou White, Robert N. Bradshaw, Betty Girtin.
Top row: Phyllis Girtin, Jerry Matlock, Mary Ella Rupp, Principal Fred K. Miller, Barbara Fogle, Preston King, and Carol M. Meiner.