The History of Buncombe High School
Buncombe (population 186) is located in far southern Illinois in west central Johnson County. Illinois Route 37 is the main highway through Buncombe, located 3 miles north of Illinois Route 146. The Slick Creek runs west of town and the Blue Branch creek flows to the south of town. The At & St Railroad makes a swooping curve through Buncombe as well.
We are hopeful someone from the area helps us out with the Buncombe educational history. We believe Buncombe began a school for its children in the late 1800s. We know the high school served the town of Buncombe at least through the 1940s. Buncombe High School closed in 1943. Buncombe residents, however, maintained control of their Grade School and still support the Buncombe Grade School in town for grades K – 8.
Articles in the Vienna Times as reviewed by Betty Fritch state that Buncombe school was being built in 1905. The Coon Den School District (just north of Buncombe) was annexed by the Buncombe School District in 1938. The Salem School building was moved into the town of Buncombe and used as a general store that same year.
The fate of the original Buncombe High School building is a good one. It serves as the Buncombe Grade School.
According to Robert Gage, the class of 1943, his graduating class, was the final high school class to earn their diplomas at Buncombe High School.
Buncombe High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late 1800s
Year closed: 1943
School nickname: unavailable
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable